It is a neohippie festival, where thousands of people live in the desert with its own rules. This project dates back from 1986 and every year, more people joined, perhaps by the need to live in an area completely free. Currently, more than 25.ooo people gather in the Black Rock Desert and over the days of the event, they develop all kinds of artistic expressions such as sculptures, installations, performances, costumes or theme camps. It is not permitted to buy and sell items, so anyone who wants to participate should bring all the essential things to survive for a week.
Each year, a theme is chosen and participants must bring their own form of expression. This year, the theme is about the mythology, most notably “The Temple of Juno”, although the center of the festival is, of course, the Burning Man: a giant human figure which burns during the night of last Saturday. All who have attended this festival, say that it is impossible to describe to those who have not seen or have not been there, since it is a very different experience crossing the sensory border.
Tips for surviving the Burning Man Festival
- Where to stay: You will need a tent, caravan or any structure that serves as a shelter, not to mention all the objects needed to spend a week in the desert.
- What to do: In addition to the artistic expressions of all participants, you can perform many more activities, such as biking blindfolded or organize parades with decorated vehicles. Remember, you must bring your own bike or anything that you may need.
- Family: There is separate area called Kidsville in which children and families can stay.
- Photos and videos: Photos are allowed, but not record the event.
- Environment: The festival is environmentally friendly so you have to be proactive and take waste bags and bring them back to the city.