One more year, Lonely Planet has made a selection of the best tourist spots to visit during the year. The collection of these destinations is marked by the current global economic situation, so they have the particularity of being able to offer an unforgettable experience without travel on a high budget.
1. Northwest of the United States: With the low prices of the buses, you can move to cities like New York, Boston, Washington DC, Philadelphia and Toronto, for less than $ 5 each way. It is a great option if you want to visit other cities in a comfortable and economic way, with some facilities such as free Wi-Fi.
2. Due to the catastrophic earthquake in Japan in March 2011, it has been a difficult year for tourism, so it offers lower prices than other comparable destinations. You can stay in Tokyo in a traditional guesthouse for about 37$ and many of the sights of the city are free.
3. Tajikistan is one of the most stable and secure countries in Central Asia and it has very reasonable prices, both in the accomodation and even on car rentals, usually including the driver. It features some of the oldest spas in the world and beautiful lakes located near the border with Uzbekistan.
4. Porto is Portugal‘s cultural city par excellence and has the advantage of being connected to the rest of Europe by a large number of low cost flights. You can also find hotels with beautiful views over the Douro River from just $ 37 at night, riding a ferry from $ 1. 20 and take a ride on a historic tram.
5. Lesotho is a country unknown for many people and keeps a large number of treasures like mountains, dinosaur footprints, incredible craft markets and even cannibal caves. It’s a cheaper destination than its neighbor South Africa and it has so spectacular landscapes.
6. Iquitos is the largest city in the Peruvian Amazon and it only can be reached by airplane or boat. It offers a wide possibility of adventure activities such as piranhas fishing, walk through the jungle or admire the pink dolphins.
7. San Francisco has a large number of free activities to do, from walking across the Golden Gate to have a bath in the Pacific beaches or visit many art galleries. In addition, the city, we can find a large number of cheap restaurants for all tastes.
8. Ohrid is a beautiful medieval town located in a large lake in Macedonia. It’s easy to find private rooms for only € 10 and in addition to be a charming place, surrounded by vineyards, lakes and Byzantine churches, it has several national parks in which we can enjoy activities from hiking to boating and swimming.
9. Vietnam has always been one of the cheapest destinations in Asia and it offers unique experiences such as the Mekong Delta, where you can visit the famous floating markets of Vinh Long and destinations as Ben Tre or Chao Doc, boat trips from less than $10 and cheap accomodation.
10. If in addition to the endless beaches of the Yucatan peninsula, you want to discover the “Real Mexico”, Merida is the best place to experience life, food and architecture of the country. The colonial center of town, has a large number of monuments and open museums, you can visit Maya sites in public bus circuits and to visit easily the village of Celestun to admire hundreds of pink flamingos in the mangroves .