Despite his reputation of being an elegant and boring city, it has lots of shops, restaurants, a lively nightlife and a free great cultural offer to everyone, from families to young backpackers, as you can see in this selection of free places and activities in Washington.
1. Visit the National Mall, a National Park with museums and historic sites whose entrance is free. This garden area there are important attractions as the The Lincoln Memorial, the Smithsonian or the Washington Monument. The 4th of July is celebrated the day of national independence with an incredible fireworks display.
3.Visit the National Gallery of Art, where in addition to admiring the best artwork, you can enjoy educational programs, conferences, sculpture garden, tours, theaters and concerts.
4. Wander the National Zoo that has over 400 different species among which are pandas, birds, big cats, monkeys … The ideal place for children to have fun.
5. Take a tour of the White House, the official residence and principal workplace of the President of the United States. Requests for visits must be presented through a member of Congress and made up to 6 months from the embassy of any country. You can also visit a free visitor center without planning.
6. Enjoy a free show on stage at the Kennedy Center Millennium, the main concert hall of the city. Every evening from 6pm, it hosts concerts of all kinds, performances of the National Symphony Orchestra, dance groups and more.
7. Walk through nature in Rock Creek Park, a large park where is possible to picnic, to play tennis or golf, cycling, skating, fishing or attend a concert.
8. Arlington National Cemetery is a landmark in itself, since, here are buried veterans of all wars in which America has participated. It is essential to visit the Tomb of the Unknowns where you can watch the changing of the guard, and the grave of J. F. Kennedy and his eternal flame.
9. Visit the National Botanical Garden with more than 440 acres of trees, shrubs and divided into several sections.
10. The Holocaust Museum Exhibition presents the narrative history of the extermination of 6 million European Jews by Nazi Germany from 1933 to 1945.
Like in any big city, it is important to note the location at the time of stay. Hotels in Washington tend to have high prices, but they have a great quality and comfort like the Embassy Suites Washington D.C. or St. Gregory Luxury Hotels & Suites. If you prefer cheap hotels with best price, without sacrificing the dowtown location,Club Quarters in Washington DC and Henley Park Hotel are two good options.
On the other hand, inexpensive restaurants in Washington, have a wide variety and are far easier to find. One is Skewers, well known in the city thanks to its Mediterranean and Italian-American menus. At Ray’s Hell Burger you can enjoy some delicious homemade burgers at an affordable price.