Sydney, the Jewel of the South Pacific offers unique experiences to visitors, such as the unique Sydney Opera House, the fantastic Bondi Beach for surfing, the World Heritage listed Blue Mountains and much more. The city also has a huge repertoire of experiences for everyone that costs absolutely nothing. Sydney’s Tourism office has made a selection of the best free things to do in the city; some of them are natural attractions like beaches, walks and sunset on the harbour. Others are cultural with museums and art galleries. We hope you will enjoy it!
1. Stroll across the Harbour Bridge for Sydney’s best views.
2. Head for Sydney’s city beaches like Manly, Bondi or Shelly.
3. The Royal Botanic Gardens, a 30 hectare of tropical plants, green lawns and shady trees. There are free guided walks every morning.
5. Visit the National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour, the entry is free to the museum’s core exhibitions, special temporary exhibitions, Wharf 7 Maritime Heritage Centre, North Wharf and marina (to view small vessels) and Cape Bowling Green Lighthouse.
6. Visit Government House: the most sophisticated example of a Gothic Revival building in the region. Viewing of the house is by guided tour only, with tours starting at 10.30am with the last tour departing at 3pm.
7. Free astronomy displays at Australia’s oldest existing observatory in The Rocks Observatory. Night time tours have a fee, but during the day admission is free for you to explore the beautiful garden and wander through the old observatory building.
8. Have a picnic at Sydney Olympic Park or go for a walk through wetlands to the bird hide.
9. Writers Walk: walk the cobble-stone streets of The Rocks and learn about famous Australian writers on 50 round metal plaques. Each plaque has a selection of thoughts from Australian writers.
10. Visit the Customs House where you can walk on a glass floor above a 1:5000 scale model of the cuty centre.